Notify Message
Forums
#14435793 Oct 15, 2020 at 05:42 PM
89 Posts
So it was official. They were signed up. At least their commanding officer didn't seem like he was going to be terrible.

Still, Klayn had to find a closet to hide in to fend off a panic attack. By the time it was under control, he had to chase the rest of the group into the basement and then into a thoroughly strange goo filled with caustic dangers. It was their first assignment to find out what was wrong with the water supply apparently.

Well, they did.

And now they spent their first night in the barracks. As soldiers. Well, Klayn still didn;t feel like one, and he had a feeling that he'd feel even less like one when they came face to face with organized goblins, inevitably.
#14435809 Oct 15, 2020 at 07:50 PM
71 Posts
Fosco hadn't really expected their first mission in the army to be as sewer workers, but what did he know? Several sewer workers had gone missing so down they went looking for them. They found the place infested with molds and ooze which had to be dealt with. More seriously, they ran into some imp like creatures and some sort of ooze demon that proved a lot more dangerous and tougher to get rid of. Some how they managed to take care of these without getting killed, though there were a few close calls and Fosco had to employ all his blessing to help ensure their survival.
#14435820 Oct 15, 2020 at 08:49 PM · Edited 1 month ago
82 Posts
Meanwhile, elsewhere...

---

"I didn't know what to make of yer theory when I first heard it," admitted Borri, speaking to Fiona - and anyone else near. He sat, hammer across his lap, "But now this has happened - aye. Yer book, the warrior's sword - and now my hammer. Once is a fortune, twice is a coincidence... three is fate, and it may not yet stop at three, as ye've pointed out."

He held up the hammer, tracing the runes that had made themselves visible; still glowing redly through some power within the hammer's head. "This has always unmistakeably been a work of dwarf-craft, has this hammer, aye... the Steelbloods' hammer, passed from hand to hand. But these markings? I've seen similar, but etchings only, maker's marks placed on great works, symbols of quality engraved on blades, part of our tradition, part of our technique, carved as we sing the song of metal." He speaks as if reciting, slow and careful. "'One stroke for sun, and one for moon... etch the long forgotten rune.'"

"So our mantra's always gone. But this hammer, now... I can feel it singing back. It wants to sing with me, and craft great things. I've never felt the like." He looks a the others. "If there is a power sleeping in each of your hands, we must awaken them, if we can. To do otherwise, is to disrespect the stories we now bear. Unthinkable!"
#14435914 Oct 16, 2020 at 03:17 AM
65 Posts
The sword was in a great mood despite not having received the moot of power. Maybe it was because it had gone to another weapon, Borri's hammer, or maybe it was just because it didn't go to Fiona's book. Now the sword wouldn't admit to it, but Leondis was positive now that it was extremely jealous of that book for some reason. And sure, the book let her cast additional magic and spoke to her, in a way, but evidently not in a literal way like he had originally thought, which meant that he had no one to confide in over talking inanimate objects, but that was completely fine as thankfully he still appeared sane to the group and that was more than enough right now.

But yes, the sword was in a good mood, Borri was in a good mood, and none of them had died to that ooze demon. And everyone was starting to get on board with this 'Chosen Ones' idea that had been suggested multiple times now, including the talking sword no one else could hear. But again, the appearance of sanity over a third source.
#14436065 Oct 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM
63 Posts
After filling in a somewhat pale-looking Klayn, Fiona turned her attention to Borri and his observations regarding the now-empowered hammer. With notebook in hand, she recorded his words, enthusiastically nodding along as she jotted down new hypothesis in the margins.

"I agree we're a ways past coincidence!" she said. "In fact, I think it safe to say we left coincidence hung-over in a ditch somewhere around Crosspath, likely missing its small-clothes. Consider this, thought: each of the motes we have found were in places that had recently been the site of significant anomalous arcane activity! In the case of the first, the dryads had been going haywire with the stolen staff - which had rested there for centuries if not longer! The second was likewise found in the resting place of ancient magics, which caused me to theorize these motes may be the result of long-term coagulation of etheric disturbances, if you will. The third mote seems to suggest that that the long-term part isn't strictly necessary! This portal was clearly quite recent, yet the mote was no less powerful than the others. This probably has something to do with the fact that a stable portal of this kind represents a truly stupendous outpouring of magical energy - like a... a burst dam, if you will, except the dam are the walls of reality and the water is raw arcane might!"

At long last, Fiona paused to take a breath. Then, she just went right on going.

"I think we can all agree that this is very exciting! I wonder if this phenomenon might somehow be reproduced artificially, but alas, I fear the means for such an experiment are well beyond us at this time. So for now, we needs must keep our eyes and ears peeled for more such disturbances or resting places! Who knows what we might learn?"
#14436117 Oct 16, 2020 at 01:00 PM
Veteran DM
192 Posts
Session 13

+600xp for full-party IC posting this week.
#14436510 Oct 17, 2020 at 10:17 AM
Veteran DM
192 Posts
Server is up, usual connection info.
#14439431 Oct 22, 2020 at 01:04 PM · Edited 29 days ago
Veteran DM
146 Posts
"The bugger had the right name," Giselle added again once the group had moved far enough away to talk. Obviously finding it hard to restrain her temptations they surfaced in the tone of her voice. "That woman wanted healing stuff from him and got it too. Bastard probably has the ones from the temple though it's a good question as to how he got 'em." She sniffed and glanced back, fingers closing and relaxing repeatedly on the hilt of her sword.

"Might be that the guards 're in on it too," she continued looking back at her companions. "Never know who might be taking bribes to supplement a rainy day stash and there's likely to be a few of them on the horizon so chances are likely to be high." She spat as a gesture of her opinion of the situation.

"Can't bloody stand profiteers." Giselle spoke in a tone which sounded like she'd eaten something that tasted awful. "Take from them as don't have stuff when they need it most. Let me go duff up his cronies and you can take a peek in his box while I do."
Old enough to know better, too old to care.
#14439500 Oct 22, 2020 at 04:57 PM · Edited 28 days ago
82 Posts
"Rein it in, lass," said Borri, standing behind a corner. "Last thing we want is to get pulled up by the guard. I got the smell of this fella having some sorta arrangement with the guard."

He nodded, filling his pipe with some local weed he seemed to have scrounged from somewhere, and taking a deep breath. "Hitting something or someone, there's an art to it. Jus' strikin' something willy nilly won't shape it the way you want. If we get into a fight an' get arrested, that don't help no-one."

He takes a long drag, blowing a smoke ring throughfully. "Could be we can distract 'em an' pay 'em off, while the soft-footed amongst us take a peek an' see if that's the supplies the priest told us about."
#14439558 Oct 22, 2020 at 07:38 PM · Edited 1 month ago
84 Posts
Investigate.

That was the mission they received after cleansing the underground below the city making sure the water source was safe and that workers could resume work without fear.

Before that they returned to the basement where somehow they opened a box that could not be opened before and retrieved a sword. Possibly another relic from the old days.

They were now in the city streets. Xylo was feeling some hostility and a faint sense of danger without being able to pinpoint its cause or source. How was the war effort going? Where and when would the battle take place? Did it already take place? The city was full of refugees people who likely had lost everything.

Finding a cure would have to wait. He remembered a conversation he had way back in the Crosspath library. He was told that his condition was likely due to a curse or other magical effect, a disease or from a natural cause. It was important to know if his eyes or optical nerves were "broken" in other words damaged or if part of his brain could not make sense of what his eyes were seeing. At the time Xylo did had no idea how to determine that for sure and how it could possibly help fix him.

For now, all Xylo could do was to follow his friends and hope for the best. May be there was another "please don't turn me into a rat" scroll waiting for him in the most unexpected place.

#14439643 Oct 23, 2020 at 01:29 AM
89 Posts
They found themselves a lot to do alright. Finding the supplies turned out to be not very difficult thanks to Borri chatting up the tavern keeper, but they couldn't tell yet if it was all of them or just a portion. Either way, it looked like they wanted Klayn to get a look at the stash while no one was looking.

But they were always looking. Go figure.

So if there was going to be a distraction...

"Um... I think Borri is right. Those guards have to know these guys are up to something shady. If we start an all out fight, I don't know what they'd do. But... well, if my job is just to take the supplies out from under them, I think I can do that, as long as their attention is somewhere else for a little while."
#14439656 Oct 23, 2020 at 02:04 AM
65 Posts
A Nation in Shambles. A Countryside in Ruins. A City in Despair. The heroes arrived in time to see the city at its lowest. Refugees littered the streets. People and Supplies vanished. Corruption flowed without impedance. They knew who the villain was, but to catch him would take more than just the righteousness behind their souls. Nay, they needed evidence, facts, and the opportunity to catch this rat in a trap. . .

Leondis knew the others were probably right, but... He just had a hard time imagining that someone in the Guard itself would willingly indulge in such corrupt practices as stealing from those in need, especially at a time like this. But then, he had begun to learn that his sheltered ideas and ideals were not as common as he had thought. Perhaps that was why his Uncle had lived off on his own in the countryside. But that was a matter for another thing, in any case.

#14439839 Oct 23, 2020 at 07:33 AM
63 Posts
As Klayn knew all too well, Fiona could, at times, become a little... too enthusiastic about new avenues of research. Enthusiasm by itself was all well and good, of course, but now and then it would result in certain unwanted side effects. She might, for instance, find herself waking up in the middle of the afternoon face-down on a book and with ink all over her face after spending most of the night working.

It was always somewhat embarrassing; that not-so-subtle evidence of her lack of self-control. It was a little worse, now, even, as Klayn could no longer cover for her missteps in all the ways big and small that he once did. Surely everyone had seen her slumped over and snoring, spectacles drooping from her face. More than that, she was supposed to be a soldier now! Part of a proper regiment and everything - technically in charge, even! This would simply not do.

After taking a few moments to compose herself, Fiona ventured out into the streets, resolving to never let this happen again - yet knowing quite well that it probably would, likely at the most inopportune of time.

((Actually did manage to accidentally sleep for 16 hours straight and miss the game last week. Somehow. Apologies. 😞))
#14439879 Oct 23, 2020 at 08:32 AM
71 Posts
The group was tasked with tracking down some stolen supplies. Various leads were pursued and it looked like they would have to delve into the sewers again in order to find them. Fosco wasn't all that keen on wading thru neck deep water again, but one did what one had to do. It sure seemed a lot different from what he imagined going off to war would be like.
#14440038 Oct 23, 2020 at 03:12 PM
Veteran DM
192 Posts
Session 14

+600xp for full-party IC posting this week.
#14440494 Oct 24, 2020 at 10:17 AM
Veteran DM
192 Posts
Server is up, usual connection info.
#14441181 Oct 25, 2020 at 05:03 PM
Veteran DM
146 Posts
((EU have gone back to GMT this weekend, which means next week we will be down to 4 hours time difference. I'm good for starting an hour earlier but thought I should mention it. Not least as the DM may like another hour in bed. :D))
Old enough to know better, too old to care.
#14442222 Oct 27, 2020 at 06:36 PM
84 Posts
THE BOOK IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

The group entered or perhaps sneaked into the sewers. Soon a body was found. Was that the missing person? That would have to be established later. As the party tried to get out somebody threw some "fire bomb" down before blocking the exit. Xylo got burned quite a bit. Nothing that healing magic could not fix.

They had to find another way out. Luck was on their side as they found the secret entrance to the mage tower they were looking for to retrieve an item. A quest of sort. They had to use a magic scroll to get in. Inside they had to face the traps and guardians. One was a mighty golem. The thing did hurt them a lot. Once again Xylo had to retreat and try to hide or die. Later on, after recovering from their injuries thanks to more magical healing they explored the whole tower finding trinkets here and there. The place was quiet except for the bunch of books that attacked them. That could be something for a bard tale...


// Regarding GMT/daylight saving time or whatever you call that. I do prefer playing at the same time or even earlier. The Winter games are very tough for me (not getting any better being a baby boomer) and I may nod off no matter how much coffee I take and how bright is the light... ADD/ADHD may also not help. I remember the time when I was playing or DM-ing from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM non stop. How did I manage that I wonder.
#14442230 Oct 27, 2020 at 07:41 PM
Veteran DM
192 Posts
Our usual practice has been to keep the game time on the US clock, which means there's a week delay in syncing up for Daylight Savings. If anyone has a hardship due to that shift, let me know. My recollection is that karvon doesn't have DST at all where he is, but he's always been able to adjust to our antiquated farmer-based systems.

#14443427 Oct 29, 2020 at 11:18 PM · Edited 22 days ago
71 Posts
A bit of wandering around in the sewers found them at the entrance to a wizard's tower someone had asked them to raid. The place was well guarded by wards and assorted automated creatures. Fosco had tried to stay clear of the fighting but did get beaten up a bit despite his best efforts. His prayers helped restore the party after several harsh encounters, but there were limits as to how much power he could channel, so it was a pretty exhausting experience. The party rewarded him by sharing one of the magical motes they found and he used it to enhance the old ring passed down from his grandfather.

//yeah we don't have DST here in Japan, so it's a bit of a slog when the time changes.